Storage Tips and FAQHere are some frequently asked questions about self-storage:
General FAQsQ: What is self-storage?
A: Self-storage is a type of storage facility where you can rent a unit to store your personal belongings or business items.
Q: What can I store in self-storage?
A: You can store a variety of items in self-storage, including furniture, household items, clothing, electronics, business equipment, and more.
Q: How long can I rent a self-storage unit?
A: You can typically rent a self-storage unit on a month-to-month basis, or for a longer period if needed. Being month to means you can move out easily and have little commitments.
Q: What size units are available?
A: We offer a range of unit sizes to meet your storage needs, from small 5×5 units to larger 10×30 units.
Self-Storage Unit Types
When it comes to self-storage, there are several different types of units available to meet your needs:
Indoor Units – These are your typical self-storage units, available in a variety of sizes and typically accessed from a hallway. You may need to take an elevator to access it. Drive-Up Units – These units are accessible by vehicle and allow for easy loading and unloading of larger items.
Climate-Controlled Units – These units maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level, making them ideal for storing sensitive items like electronics, artwork, and musical instruments.
We want to make the billing process for your self-storage unit as easy as possible. Here are some frequently asked questions:Q: When is rent due?
A: Rent is due on the first day of each month. For the first payment, we ask for the first prorated month + first full month rent. If you move in on the 1 st of the second of the month, we only ask for the first full month.
Q: How can I pay my rent?
A: You can pay your rent online by logging into your account, in person at the office, over the phone
or by setting up automatic payments.
Q: What happens if I am late on my rent?
A: Late fees may apply, and we may place a lock on your unit until rent is paid in full.
Q: What are the accepted payment methods?
A: You can pay online by via our website in the “My account” section, over the phone or in person at your preferred facility rental office. We accept credit, debit cards and electronic bank transfers. Please note that electronic bank transfers can take 3 business days to be processed. We do not accept cash as a means of payment.
Features and Amenities
Our self-storage facilities offer a variety of features and amenities to make your storage experience as convenient as possible:
Security – Most our facilities is equipped with access systems, surveillance cameras and other security measures to ensure the safety of your belongings.
Packing and Moving Supplies – We offer a selection of locks, boxes, tape, and other packing supplies to make your move easier.
Online Account Management – You can manage your account and make payments online for added convenience.
Office Hours vs Access Hours
At our self-storage facility, we have both office hours and access hours. Here are some frequently asked questions:Q: What are office hours?
A: Office hours are the hours when our office is open and staff is available to assist you with your storage needs.
Q: What are access hours?
A: Access hours are the hours when you can access your storage unit to retrieve or store items.
Q: Are office hours and access hours the same? A: No, office hours and access hours may differ.
Please check with our facility for specific hours.
We take security seriously at our self-storage facility. Here are some frequently asked questions:Q: What security measures do you have in place?
A: Most our facilities is equipped with surveillance cameras, gated access, and other security measures to ensure the safety of your belongings.
Q: Do you offer protection for my belongings?
A: We offer lease tiers that cover your belongings for a value up to $25 000.
If you have any further questions or concerns regarding self-storage, please do not hesitate to contact us at 514-STORAGE. Our team of storage experts is always happy to help you find the perfect storage solution to meet your needs.
Storage TipsAfter choosing the right facility to fit your needs, it is essential that you pack your belongings in storage correctly. Here are some tips to consider for preventing damage:
- Determine whether the goods you are storing will be better protected by placing them in boxes, totes, or other containers. You may need to purchase specialized boxes and other materials to protect your items during the move and while they are stowed away.
- Thoroughly clean, disinfect and dry refrigerators, freezers, stoves and other appliances. Appliances with doors can be stored with the door slightly open, and some can be stacked on top of each other.
- Prevent rust by wiping down all types of metal surfaces before storing. Use a few drops of machine oil to lightly coat these items for preventing rust and possible deterioration.
- Store clothing on hangers before folding them into cartons. Make sure all drapes, curtains, linens and clothing items are washed and dry, or dry cleaned to avoid attracting pests.
- Use bubble wrap and other materials when storing dishes and glassware. Pack similar items in the same box and fill empty spaces with packing peanuts, bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Stack lightweight chairs “seat to seat”, but avoid stacking other types of furniture on top of each other. Cover all upholstery with light cotton dust covers.
- Holiday decorations can be stored in their original cartons. Wrap glass ornaments and other delicate items in bubble wrap or newspaper before storing in boxes or totes.
- CDs, tapes, records and other music items can be stored in boxes or airtight cartons to prevent damage.
- Cover computer screens and large television screens with dust covers and wrap in bubble wrap if you are storing these items next to furniture and other equipment.
- Pack all books, files, and documents flat, and use bubble wrap or newspaper to fill any empty spaces in the boxes or totes.
- Disassemble furniture and place pieces on a corrugated cardboard mat or plastic sheet before placing on a pallet.
- Wrap lamp bases in padding and store the lamp shade and base separately.
- Be sure to clean and dry all electrical equipment before storing.
Prohibited Storage Goods
Even though you alone control access to your storage space, there are some items that cannot be stored in your unit at any time. These include:
- Live animals
- Flammable liquids and fuels
- Toxic materials
- Any items that need to be in a controlled environment